Jennifer's Cookies Cakes 'n More

My Website

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hawaiin Birthday

The beach cake for my niece Sydney's birthday. This was another one that I had to throw together quickly and hope for the best. The base is a 2 layer white sheet cake, carved to resemble the sand. The cliff is a 3 layer chocolate cake, also carved, and filled in with scraps. The entire cake was covered in buttercream, then graham cracker crumbs were added for the sand. The brown got a lot darker than I had planned. It is hard to see the gray rocks on the cliff next to the dark brown cliff. The waterfall is fondant, brushed with luster dust. I loved the effect I got with it. The palm trees, sign, umbrella, flip flops and Sydney are all fondant.


As you can see, I cannot make people. I don't know why I have such trouble with them. I can make flowers, animals, just about anything. Except people. I should have let one of my 5 year old twins make her - she probably would have looked better than this. Oh well, I'll just keep practicing. Maybe one of these days I'll get it. The birthday girl (and all of her guests) loved it, and that's all that matters.










Her cookies were pretty basic. Seashells, fish, octopus & starfish



I wish I'd had more time to spend on these cookies. I love the cookies that you can be creative with. They are so much fun!
My twins have decided on an ocean theme for their birthday, in just a couple of weeks, so I'll get to play around more. I also have to figure out how to incorporated SpongeBob into the cake without it being all about him. Oh, the joys of twins. Trying to make both of them happy can be infuriating at times.
Have a wonderful week, everyone!









No comments:

Post a Comment